Friday, April 09, 2010

One of my favorite things

about Lil Girl is her singing. She's a singing fanatic. Picture an almost four year old who knows all the words to Bad Romance or Live Like We're Dying, and you've got a pretty good take on what kind of singing happens all the time around here. (We'll just pretend I don't have my own, hyper-judgemental issues about letting a four-year-old listen to Lady Gaga and move right along...)If there's anything more adorable than that little curly head bobbing back and forth, and little fingers twirling her Mr. Microphone as she belts out "You belong with MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE", with then I don't even want to know about. (Said in my best Mrs. Landingham voice.)

But there are a couple of complications - The fist being that she's infinitely more up to date in her song choices than I am... I listen to the radio with the specific goal of catching up on current songs so that I know what's coming out of her mouth half the time. (Although I also do my best to catch her up on a lot of music she wouldn't be otherwise exposed to - if you're 4 and not singing Disney songs, then I am sad for you - so there's definitely some overlap.)

And then there's the songs that I have no clue about - the ones she asks me to finish for her "Sad and on the dancefloor he left me there.... What's next, Auntie?" Um... I have no clue? I have never heard this song before. Or when there's some dance moves that she thinks I should know that go along with the song "When I say "Hope it brings you hell" you're supposed to do count like this:" she moves her fingers very slowly down from 5 to 0. O...k: why am I doing that again? "It's the way the song GOES AUNTIE!" Alrighty then, what do I know.

We've also made up our own routines: as a former dance teacher, it fills me with glee to see her hopping and toe pointing her way through a song. Although her favorite is just a Michael Buble cover of the song Hold On during which I have to try to sneak up on her and hold on to her every time he sings the words "Hold On". He sings those words a lot in that song. By the end, I am just pulling on her toe and trying to catch that, since the little bugger has a LOT more energy than her Auntie NTE.

Complicating the whole thing is the fact that she's not always clear on what the song is actually saying, but this is, by far, the best part of our singalongs.

A recent sampling of some slightly confused lyrics -

(In the interest of full disclosure, I will freely admit that, until I was a teenager, I thought the words to "Addicted to Love" ("Might as well face it... you're addicted to love.") were actually "Hyena's little faces you're addicted to love." I did not know why there would hyenas and their faces in the song, but it never occurred to me that I might be mishearing the lyrics until someone else sang the song with me and laughed their ass off when I sang the wrong words. Ah, 12 year-old girlfriends.)


From Eeeny Meeny Miney Moe, the perpetual help-me-choose song preferred by children of all ages: "Catch a tiger by the toe, if he liars" or, alternately, "if he lawyers let him go." True: If the tiger lawyers up, you've got to let him go - you aren't going to get anything out of him. Actual lyric: Hollers. Not a word in her vocabulary, I'm afraid.

From Hey, Soul Sister by Train: "Hey Soul Sister, ain't that Mister Licker on the radio, stereo, the way you move ain't fair you know." Obviously the correct lyrics of "Mister, Mister" would be a bit before her time, (as is stereo, come to think of it) so that's fine, but Mister Licker? I don't even want to know.

My current favorite is from the Lady Antebellum song, Need You Now which says that "I'm a little drunk, and I need you now". Her version: "It's a quarter after one and I'm a little trunk and I need you now." I actually giggled at this one, picturing a little suitcase siting out, abandoned, waiting for someone to pick it up. Also wonderful is her timing: the part where the sing "for me it happens all the time" has a little beat after it before the song starts up again, and she bops her head every. single. time.

Also heart tugging are the phrasings that she tangles up - adorably, IMO - so that "Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone" turns into "Romeo, take me, somewhere can we be alone."

These are like the last of her baby mispronunciations ("Yittle" has been fazed out over the course of the last 6 months or so, and that was one of my favorites), little blips in her road to growing up that I want to be able remember. The two of us, sitting on the floor in the dining room, her belting out a song about sad and lonely trunks, and me giggling along.

1 comment:

Sue Jackson said...

What a wonderful post! I always love reading about your great relationship with your niece and nephew, but this one especially brought back memories of my own boys when they were little. I also miss those adorable mispronounciations!! Though, in this case, plenty of adults get the lyrics wrong, too! There's a website for misheard lyrics - I got my husband their page-a-day calendar one year and it was hilarious! Like the person who thought Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" was "gypsies, chimpanzees."

I also have fairly strong opinions about little kids listening to questionable pop music, by the way! Favorites in our house when my kids were younger (and still now!) were Troutfishing in America - an incredibly clever, funny, and musically talented duo and soundtracks from kids' movies that we liked, like Tarzan, Open Season, Hoot, and Flushed Away. The cool thing about the soundtracks is that it's often big-time stars who do the music, so my kids get exposed to them in a fun, kid-friendly way...Phil Collins did Tarzan, Bryan Adams did the excellent Spirit soundtrack, etc.

Anyway, keep having fun singing and dancing with your niece!!

Sue