Saturday, April 06, 2013

My Letter to the FDA



It's taken me a while to figure out what, exactly I wanted to say in my comment to you about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: in the 18 years I've been dealing with this illness, I've written many letters, blog posts, and rants; had a million discussions; banged my head against a thousand bureaucratic walls; spoken to my congressmen & my doctors, my family, other people's families, and a generally disbelieving public about this disease with it’s stupid name that changes your life forever.  I don't know if I've ever said the RIGHT words, if I've ever come up with the PERFECT explanation, but I do know this - I don't stop trying, because I don't have a choice. 

So that's what I'll say to you, government workers who are supposed to be helping all of us out here who are suffering from this heartbreaking, misnomer-ed & misunderstood disease: don't stop trying, because you shouldn't have the choice, either.  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a serious, debilitating, complex jumble of an illness - nobody understands that better than us patients.  It must be truly frustrating to the medical professionals who are tasked with developing the protocols, the drugs, the treatments, the diagnostic tools, the help we so desperately require, to be faced with an illness as complicated and difficult to nail down as CFS. I can only encourage you to think what it is like to live with such a disease, and hope that that spurs you to work harder, more diligently, more intensely. 

This is a disease that a lot of people still don't believe in: I don't have the luxury of not believing in it - I'd love to be able to dismiss my symptoms with a fairy tale-like ending simply by stating "but I don't believe in you..." But then I’d try to stand up and pass out again, so my fairy tale bubble would pop.  People don't believe in it because there's nothing to X-ray or blood test for (as of yet) and so doctors don't take it seriously.  Doctors don't have to take it seriously because our government doesn't take us seriously, doesn't devote the necessary time, energy, and resources into finding out what the hell is happening to us, how we stop it, treat it, improve it.  No, this is a disease where you get a diagnosis, and are quickly shown the door, left to figure things out on your own.

That's not the way it should be, and you're the people who can change that.  Please: take this seriously.  Please: know that there are patients out here DYING from this, living with this, suffering through their every day with this, and that We Need Your Help.  Please: do your job, and help us. Don't let this be yet another example of how you've left us to fend for ourselves.

Sincerely, etc.

------

I meant to post this earlier in the week, but spoons ran out, and so I didn't write it till today.  You still have till midnight on Monday, April 8th to comment to the FDA about CFS/ME.  There's a great post by Erica here at CFS Treatment Blog on how to do it, and why it's so important. 

No comments: