Friday, May 18, 2007

Things I think people should stop saying (pt 1)

I'm going to go ahead and declare a moratorium on the phrase "... the last, great hurdle we have to overcome." Because, too often, people are only seeing the hurdle they are involved in, and don't look over to the other lanes, where there's hurdles aplenty left. Racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, antisemitism - unfortunately, none of these is the last problem our society has left to conquer. Sure, there's a lot of crossover, and a win in one column can often add points to all the others, but I have to say that I just don't see us solving all of our society's ills anytime soon.
So let's accept the fact that we've all got a lot of work to do, and stop pretending that our one particular fight is the only fight left to fight.

1 comment:

Maya's Granny said...

There will always be hurdles, because people aren't perfect and they want to be. Things that seem not only ok but really good these days could seem so biased in the future. When I was in high school someone told me I had a mind like a man and I was pleased. Now I'm appalled. And watching MASH (the movie) is embarrassing! I liked that movie when it came out, and now I look at it and the thought that I laughed at the sexual harassment of Margaret just makes me want to sink.