Friday, May 01, 2009

Results of my BADD wanderings

part 1. It usually takes me a few days to get all the way through these posts. And it has been a truly horrid week, so I'm slow going anyways. But they're so awesome, and I could really use the distraction, so you never know: I might finish them all right now.


Here are a few highlights so far -


...the experiences of the privileged are considered the norm everyone should be expected to live up to. Just as women are expected to simply adapt to institutions and social structures that evolved out of male privilege, those with ADHD are expected to be able to succeed in education and careers designed by and for people with "normal" abilities and ways of thinking. Those who don't are called lazy and irresponsible, or are blamed for not pulling their weight at work.
from The Acrimonious One

Many will argue that if they do not know about the issues, they can’t be guilty of being ‘disablist’. But that misses the point of a truly inclusive society - one which not only breaks down barriers, but doesn’t even create them in the first place. A perfect scenario would be where it is harder to exclude than to include. Perhaps this is an unrealistic hope, but it is nevertheless a noble aim and should be the target of our efforts.
from A Pretty Simple Blog

o those who are too ill to work outside the home for a paycheck are unproductive by definition, regardless of how much they get done. Furthermore, the self-care that is so essential to managing chronic conditions is valued even less than the ongoing care of others*. Our most vital work is society's least esteemed.
by SKM over at Shakesville

Pain, as I explain to people, is not a feeling. It is where I live, and while I can't make out my neighbours through the fog, I know I don't live here alone.
A beautiful, heartbreakingly true line from Whirlwitch (Although, LJ users: how about having a visible e-mail address or enabling those anonymous comments - even if just for days when you're getting linked to from something like BADD? I don't much like having to delete anonymous comments either, but I hate not being able to tell someone I've loved what they've written.)


and lastly (for now),Rachelcreative's line
I don’t expect you to be a mind reader but when I tell you I have a problem with something you have to trust me that I know what I’m talking about.
really hit home with me as well. (SisterCh, even though you don't read this: I am talking to you.)

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I love these quotes. Thanks for this post. I'm still working my way through the entries to try to visit and comment.

Full Tilt said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I commented back to you there and look forward to hearing more from you. Noce BADD posting!

Full Tilt said...

Oops--Meant Nice BADD posting!