Sunday, January 21, 2007

One of the things I love, love, love about having my laptop is that I can - & do - leave it on all the time. (I'm in denial about having to bring it back this week. De-ni-al.)

On and online, almost all the time.

It's fabulous because anytime I have even the slightest thought about something, I can type it right into this here blog (and save it as a draft, so you poor people don't get messy in the explosion from my brain). I can go right to my library and request any random book I hear mentioned on TV or read about in a magazine. If there's a song I want to hear more of, or a recipe I can't remember: it's all right here.

Also, most frequently, I can use it to fill my head with more useless trivia.

And the gold standard for answering questions - any tiny little question that pops into my head - is Wikipedia.
Wikipedia has solved a million, trivial issues for me.

Today's example:

Re-reading a book, I came across the phrase Tinker to Evers to Chance. It was obviously a baseball reference, but I am obviously NOT a baseball person. But, I love history, and poems, so imagine how great it was to type the phrase into Wikipedia and get this response.

Ah.. Wikipedia. What did we ever do without you?

No comments: