Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I'm working on it...

Got a couple of more in-depth posts in the works, but in the meantime, I thought I'd report back on my no-roll pie crust experiment .  I threw it together with some frozen strawberries and blackberries, a little oatmeal/brown sugar crumble, and am eating it for dessert right now.  Grades are good - it's fairly sweet, but very flaky and hands down the easiest pie crust I've ever made.  I'm not sure how I'm going to adapt the blueberry pie, since that tends to require a top crust (and this would not be pretty enough for that, I don't think), but I'm definitely using it for Thanksgiving pies.  Thumbs up, for sure. 

If you're interested, the recipe I used is:



In a medium bowl, whisk together:
     1 1/2 c flour
     3/4 tsp salt
     2 Tbsp sugar
     1/8 tsp baking powder

With your fingers, work in:
     1/4 c (57g) frozen butter, grated
     1 Tbsp plain cream cheese, room temp

In a small bowl, whisk together:
     1/4 c oil
     2 Tbsp cold milk

Add the liquid to the larger bowl and mix with a fork until all the floury bits are wet.  It will be shaggy – that's okay.

Dump the dough into a pie dish and press it into the bottom and sides of the dish.  Try to get it as even as possible.  Freeze the dough in the dish while you prepare the filling, or for at least one hour before blind baking.

To blind bake, set the oven to 350F/175C and line the dough with foil.  Weigh the foil down with baking beans or uncooked rice (don't eat the rice afterwards) and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove the foil and weights and bake for a further 4-6 minutes uncovered, until golden brown.


And it was originally found here . The best part was the idea of grating the frozen butter, rather than trying to cut it, mix it, refreeze it, wait, then cut it up again.  Grating: why didn't I think of this sooner???    Anyways: Yum.  Off to finish dessert now. 

No comments: