Monday, July 03, 2006

Words I learned just by listening to Disney Music

My niece and nephew were over yesterday; Youngest Nephew was singing a pop song I've never heard before (this is not unusual: 1)I only listen to the radio when I'm in the car and 2) I almost never listen to current music). But then he popped up with the "artist:" "Oh, it's by the Pussycat Dolls." He's 6. And he knows who the Pussycat Dolls are. Also? He likes to sing this particular line from another recent song: "What cha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside my trunk?"

Umm... Wow?

When I was six, I had a little red tape to tape recorder. I carried it around with me most days, playing a book on tape (My favorite was Little Women , because the sound of that CRACK when Amy fell through the ice gave me chills) or the newest Disney soundtrack. I was supremely uninterested in the popular music of the day (a trend which continues 20 years later). And the things I learned from Disney songs? Well, I think they might have had just a little bit more value than wondering about Fergie's "lady lumps."

A partial list of words I remember encountering for the first time via Disney music:
(made possible because, even then, I was a word hog, and wrote them in my own dictionary as I came across them)

Enchanted & Hovering (Winnie the Pooh)

Majarajah & Suffragette (Mary Poppins) Although, to be fair, the line "though we adore men individually, we agree, as a group, they're rather stupid?" might not have set the best example.

Briny, Castaway & Barren (Bedknobs & Broomsticks)

Arpeggios (Aristocats)

Cad (Lady & the Tramp)

Nom de plume (Aladdin)

Expectorating (Beauty and the Beast)

And from my most often played soundtrack, circa 1984?


Riled from the Fabulous Disco Mickey album. Seriously people: Disco Mickey. My favorite, of course being, Macho Duck("oh he is a manly sensation").

"Oh good evening Mr. Duck."


So which is sadder? The fact that my nephew can sing A Black Eyed Peas song, or that I now have to go see if I can get Macho Duck for my media player?

No comments: