Sunday, September 16, 2007

A little link-y love

Here's a post that I think you all should read:

Disability is a feminist issue

I've tried to say things like this, but I feel like Cara did such an amazing job of clarifying all the important points, so head on over and check it out.

------------------

Since we've been talking about Invisible Illnesses and all that this week, I wanted to highlight a site that has been an invaluable resource for me: Chronic Babe.

Geared toward young women with chronic illnesses (but certainly not solely for them), Chronic Babe has helped me in so many ways. I think, most importantly, it's made me to incorporate the Chronic aspects into my life. Helped me realize that having a chronic illness doesn't cancel out all the other aspects of being me. And that I can't just ignore or seperate the two if I'm ever going to be able to just live. The idea of being a Chronic Babe is not something I'd have even considered possible just a few years ago, and my relationships on the internet - not just with CB, but with the Spoonies over at the but you don't look sick boards and all of the BADD bloggers and other individuals with disabilities - have made this term, once so oxymoronic to me something I can - and do - embrace wholeheartedly. Helping me to not be ashamed of a part of me that I'm not entirely happy about, to claim it just because it's mine (even if I don't want it to be) is something I'll always be grateful for.

On a personal level, the Editrix of Chronic Babe, Jenni Prokopy, is one of those people who just manages to make you feel welcome, all the time. When she and her husband were recently hit during a microburst & their home was destroyed, I only wished I could've helped more.

Chronic Babe just celebrated it's 2nd birthday, and I consider myself lucky that I happened upon them almost that long ago. The articles and resources are amazing - The links there were my first introduction to Grand Rounds, as well as some important sites on coping.

Best of all, Chronic Babe handles serious and silly things - shows that anything that's part of a 'normal' life is part of our lives too.

Head on over at check it out - Happy Birthday Babes!

No comments: