Saturday, September 11, 2010

Disability related linkage

Here are some disability related posts/pictures I've seen in my recent travels through the series of tubes that comprises the internets:

  • Here's an exceptional post by Miss Britt aboutAccepting her new "normal" as she discusses her depression. It is just... amazing.
  • Also of note is this post, and the (as always) fantastic comment section, about disability and body image over at FWD.
  • I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this news: A German toy company is making stuffed animals with ascribed mental illnesses - A turtle with depression, a snake with hallucinations, a sheep with a personality disorder. I've been thinking about it since I saw the initial report, and I still can't decide if I like the idea or not. On the one hand, why not? Why shouldn't there be a percentage of dolls and toys who have illnesses, just like there's a percentage of the population that have illnesses? On the other hand, how are they going to handle it? Is it going to be just one big stereotype on top of another: How do you play a personality disorder? The website, which is called the Asylum :sigh:, is not in English, so I can't exactly tell what the poster is saying about the toys, besides it's about "psychoanalysis" and "treatment" (which seems to be hugs). I just don't know. What are your thoughts?
  • Here's a picture of wheelchair fail, via Friends of Irony.
  • And here's some wheelchair win, via Tots and Giggles. It's a Wii Balance board based mobility aid that moves using weight sensors, so as the baby moves, or leans, so goes the board. It's pretty amazing work, and I can think of an astronomical number of implications for other types of mobility aids and improvements. From their literature
    We hope to use what we learn from this work to develop systems to allow safe, purposeful powered movement for infants with physical disabilities. The next phase of the research will be to study the same research questions using different control systems, and working with children with disabilities.




I always have 23000 links that I mean to post here, and then I get overwhelmed and wind up forgetting. So here's to remembering for once!

No comments: