Thursday, July 02, 2009

Bits and pieces

Here are some (very) random words/phrases/quotes from things I've been reading lately:

  • "People induce labor by various means including: breast stimulation, sexual intercourse, herbs, vaginal lubrication, abdominal manipulation, hot bricks pressed on the abdomen, friends beating and kicking the abdomen, hanging the mother from a tree and community members pulling on the abdomen, gagging the mother so she will spasm, slapping and yelling at the mother, episiotomy, and stretching the vagina." Gulp. from a very interesting post on the myths of childbirth


  • "In order to prevent the resurgence of Nazism, Holocaust denial is illegal in a number of European countries." I think that's pretty cool, even if it does rub my liberal, American, free speech loving soul the wrong way. From wikipedia


  • "Human beings are hardwired to see patterns. Seeing links and connections between various stimuli is a big part of how people navigate complex environments. Back in the earlier days of our evolution, it helped us to hunt and find food; today it helps us deal with people, keep track of large amounts of information and figure out just what the fuck is happening on Lost." Seriously: WTH is up with Lost? I didn't see the last 3 or 4 episodes, but even so, I don't think they'll be helpful. Am very much looking forward to the final 18 hours of this show. I will need everysingleminute of those 18 hours to be explanatory, but that's ok. From Cracked


  • "And I've learnt not to show impatience, never to be grumpy. Before, as a "standing" person, my occasional bad mood was tolerated: now I must exhibit unfailing cheer, grace and humility. We wheeled citizens had better appreciate others' Samaritan actions, lest our ingratitude causes offence!" Nodding Head. From standing up for the seated


  • "As someone living with fibromyalgia, when faced with articles and attitudes like these, I find myself at odds between the desire to be a peaceful sort and the urge to take a tire iron to the denier, yelling as I work them over, “IT’S OKAY! IT’S NOT REAL! Amen and Hallelujah! Why didn't I ever think of that? From the comments on this awesome post about the freaking ridiculous Salon article that said it was attacking Big Pharma, but was, in reality, attacking FM patients.

No comments: