Tuesday, December 05, 2006

And so, I'm offering this simple phrase...

Refinnej, from 100 miles from where, has posted a Holiday Meme. And I think we all know that I can't resist the call of a good meme (meant for me or not).

1. EggNog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate, with Fluff.


2. Does Santa wrap presents, use bags or just sit them under the tree? Oh, I'm a big wrapper. I love wrapping, it's something that gets me in the spirit.


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We're a white house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not in years, thankfully: I've never had anybody to kiss underneath them, so they were always more annoying to me than anything else.

5. When do you put your decorations up? A little bit at a time, starting after Thanksgiving.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Pumpkin Pie.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Just the feeling; the aura, I guess; of everything Christmassy. It felt like love.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Oh, once I suspected, I was a total spy: comparing notes with my cousins, all the older kids. But evidence was sparse, and I really wanted him to be true. Until, one Christmas Eve. Our family's tradition was that the whole family would meet at our house, head to the Children's Christmas Eve Mass, to come home and find that Santa had left us a little preview of our gifts. A letter and a small present each. That year, I was probably 11, Former Aunt had apparently been in charge of our letter from Santa. Doofus that she was(is), she wrote a PRACTICE letter first, using my notebook. AND LEFT IT THERE! Proof was secured, and that was the end of that. (Although Santa, as a symbol of the season? I totally still believe!)

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Every year

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Sentimentally, mostly. My sister & I are the only ones at home with Mum & Dad this year though, so maybe we'll try something new.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I agree, this is a both. I love it because I don't have to shovel it or go out in it. But I hate it b/c Mum hates it, and if we do have to get someplace, she's a nervous driver in snow.

12. Can you ice skate?
Used to was, I could...


13. Do you remember your favorite gift? As a child, it was a dollhouse, homemade, just for me. As an adult? It was one I gave, to Mum, a Kincade nativity set. The pieces kept coming for a year, but she was so happy with it; each time they came it made her smile.

14. What's the most important thing about the holiday to you? My family, the spirit, the togetherness (which, in my family, does not exclude fighting, screaming or adult tantrums, unfortunately)


15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Punkin Pie.


16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Taking the kiddos for there Santa pictures


17. What tops your tree?
An angel, usually

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving. But also opening (that slow, lifting-each-piece-of-tape-separately kind of opening that so torments my siblings).

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Oh Holy Night


20. Candy Canes or Chocolate Covered Cherries? Candy Canes. Cherries are ick.

21. Favorite Christmas movie: Nostalgia-wise, I've got The Muppet's Christmas Carol, The Claymation Christmas, & Garfield's Christmas Special. Newer, I've got Elf and the Polar Express. Of all time, it's probably a tie between It's a Wonderful Life & Christmas Vacation.
So. I'm kind of strange... As if you didn't know that by now.


And because I'm my own kind of person, I'm going to add one:

22. What makes this Christmas different &/or special for you? Well, we've got Baby Girl's 1st Christmas, and that's pretty special. Also, my family's more spread out this year: they've got soon-to-be in-laws to visit with, houses/apartments of their own to decorate: We're spreading out, and that'll be an adjustment on all of us.

As usual, I tag anybody who wants to play. (And anybody who's reading: I know you're out there, come say HI!)

1 comment:

Refinnej said...

Happy to provide a meme - I can't usually resist them either. ;-)