Saturday, November 11, 2006

Saturday's already mostly over

& I never did get around to the Hunt. That's ok... I'll just go check out what all you've had to say today.

I was trying to make some progress on Oldest Sister's scrapbook, as her birthday is, oh, three weeks away. I'm getting there, but I'm not near done yet. I did get 9 pages done today though. Part of my problem is organization: I know I have quotes about reading, so then I have to dig out the quotation folders (yes, folders: 6 as of right now), and wouldn't you know it, reading is one of the subjects I haven't gotten around to putting in order yet. So then I have to comb through them all, looking for the little yellow dot that means it's about books (yes, I have both folders and a color coding system. Shut up.) & try to find one that fits the pictures. And of course, I get distracted. "Oh, yeah... I remember that book. That was a good book: Why don't I have a copy of that book? I should put it on my PBS list..." and on and on.

So, for today's post, how bout some really good quotes about books &/or reading?

Yeah, that's what I thought:


“A good book is like an unreachable itch. You just can’t leave it alone.” Laura Bush



“When we read a story, we inhabit it. The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls. What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story. And this is possible because the story’s voice makes everything its own.” John Berger

“Mother & I talked about books. It was our way of loving each other, and the reading of the same book was our principal shared experience. The worlds we inhabited were very different; here we had a common text. Even after I grew up & became aware that Mother did not discriminate between art and trash, and that I needed to, I remained, forever, willing to read any piece of garbage she wanted me to, just for the pleasure, the cocoa-in-bed, Christmas-Eve pleasure, of sharing it with her.” Jincy Willett



"One sure window into a person’s soul is his reading list.” Mary B.W. Tabor



“Well, books get to me personally. They remind me of the person I was and the people I knew at the time I read them, the places I visited, the dreams I had as I lay on the couch or in bed or on the beach & read them.” Sara Nelson



“When I was reading a book as a child I never saw or heard or smelled anything around me, not friends coming down the street in a cloud of summer dust, not the yells of my brothers from the backyard, not the aroma of my mother’s cooking from the kitchen down the hall. Reading was an ocean, a pond, a warm bath, and I slipped underwater. I had gills; I could breathe there, was a live in a book more than anyplace else I ever went.” Anna Quindlen


When I tell you that this is less than a third of the quotes I have, you'll see just how I managed to get distracted.

:)

2 comments:

Maya's Granny said...

I keep things in color coded folders, with colored dots to code them further. Nothing odd about that at all. What any sane woman would do.

Heck, I used to hang my casual clothes on one color of hanger and my work ones on another, back in the days of more formal office attire. Green for money and blue for water and sky, as I remember. And a good mnemonic is hard to forget.

Never That Easy said...

Mneonics are our friends (Order of operations? Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.) And color coding was my secret weapon in college: god forbid I put something in the wrong color, no work could get done!